A new year is around the corner, but an old question remains unanswered – .NET or Node JS web application development services?
Both platforms are well-known for providing advantages like speed and scalability. They’re also open-source solutions, making them perfect for industrial usage and server-side web scale app programming.
That said, each offers a great range of advantages for your project. So, before you go ahead and plan your next one, here’s a look at the power of these platforms.
An Overview of .NET
Created by Microsoft, .NET is a free constantly-growing open-source developer platform. It allows developers to create apps using C#, F#, and Visual Basic. These three languages support the easy creation of robust, type-safe code.
Regardless of which language you choose for your app, the code will run natively on compatible operating systems. Another feature is .NET’s base class libraries and APIs. These are common across all .NET applications. Moreover, you can use additional APIs specific to operating systems such as ASP.NET.
To further extend functionality, you can rely on .NET package ecosystem. Maintained by Microsoft and others, there are 100,000+ packages specifically built for .NET. These are managed via a package manager known as NuGet.
Complementing the libraries are a number of tools – Visual Studio, Visual Studio Code, OmniSharp, JetBrains Rider, .NET CLI, and Ionide. You can also get editor extensions via The Visual Studio Marketplace.
The Benefits of .NET Web Application Development
Before going into how .NET fares against Node JS web application development services, let’s take a look at its benefits.
- Popularity Among Developers – From 2019 to 2021, .NET was chosen as the #1 framework on the Stack Overflow Developer Survey. In addition to being innovative and open source, the benefits below drive its popularity.
- High Performance – According to TechEmpower, .NET promises faster performance. Therefore, applications built on it ensure better response times. That too with less compute power.
- Added Security – As a Microsoft product, the platform is supported by the multinational computer technology corporation. Therefore, you can expect great security and quick releases to avert any threats.
- Multiple Support Options – In addition to Microsoft, developers can connect with others via Stack Overflow for support. They can also report bugs or recommend features via GitHub, Visual Studio’s Report a Problem feature, the Developer Community, or .NET website.
- High Productivity – With .NET, you can create high quality applications faster. The class libraries, multi-language support and Visual Studio tools contribute to towards making this a productive platform. Generics, Language Integrated Query, and other modern language constructs help too.
- Different Application Types on Multiple Platforms – Developing web applications using .NET allows you to target Windows, Linux, macOS, and Docker easily. As you can reuse code across different platforms, your app will be built faster and for a lower cost.
- Open Source – According to Microsoft, .NET has 100,000+ developers across the globe contributing to the platform. Companies such as Google, Red Hat, and Unity are also adding value to it.
A Brief Look at Node.js
Node JS web application development services are behind the success of many of today’s top apps including PayPal and Netflix. In fact, both report considerable improvements in performance and cost after integrating Node JS.
Yet what is Node.js really?
Inspired by systems like Python’s Twisted, Node.js uses an event loop as a runtime construct. It enters the loop after executing the input script and exists it once there are no more callbacks.
The open-source, cross-platform environment can be used for both frontend and backend development. It also includes pre-made module-shaped code that’s somewhat similar to JS library. Other features worth mentioning include a repository full of packages, auto-file-locking function, and speedy library.
The Benefits of Node.js Web Application Development
DPL and thousands of software developers offer Node JS web application development services because of the following advantages.
- Scalability for Microservices – As if this hasn’t been mentioned enough, Node.js is perfect for creating smaller modules and microservices instead of large monolithic systems. In addition to added flexibility, it ensures ample space for future growth.
- Great Support – Like .NET, this environment is supported by the Node.js Foundation. Many big names such as IBM, SAP, and PayPal are heavily involved in the organization. Moreover, there’s a large developer community as 42.12% of developers use this technology.
Choosing between .NET and Node JS Web Application Development Services
It’s now time to find out how.NET compares to Node JS web application development services.
Node.js and .NET have different processing models that you should keep in mind while making your choice.
As you known, Node JS operates on a single thread. Therefore, its server handles multiple requests at the same time without blocking them. When code is executed in the main thread, Node.js spawns on other threads. This is what keeps it lightweight and efficient even when loaded with data.
While .NET is also asynchronous, its processing model is different. Multiple requests from the thread pool are handled by a separate thread. This prevents I/O from blocking the thread while speeding up processing.
You may prefer using .NET to benefit from its programming languages, libraries, and editors. These can help you create websites, web and mobile applications, and even games.
Because of its capabilities, Node.js can be used for a variety of purposes like web applications, APIs, real-time web applications, streaming software, and chat and messaging programs.
.NET unfortunately may not fare as well in this regard. Visual Studio and other tools tend to be slow and bulky. This problem can get worse when Visual Studio is combined with ReSharper, therefore destroying IDE performance. That said, the tools offer a lot of value – when used right.
On the other hand, Node JS promises a lightweight development experience. Developers can easily code quickly in fast editors and do a lot with the command line. This, in turn, ensures faster build time.
Use of Resources
Node.js requires fewer resources as it performs on a single thread rather than resorting to the typical process request methods.
While .NET uses the blocking thread pool approach, the net core offers support for applying asynchronous programming patterns. It’s also highly competitive in handling concurrent tasks.
When comparing the performance of .NET and Node JS web application development services, you need to determine use cases. After all, being fast and handling load are two different aspects.
Node.js is more widely used to handle load. Meanwhile, .NET dedicates single threads for all requests. When the requests get out of threads, they may be queued unless they’re non-blocking.
Another aspect of performance to consider is the type of web pages you need to render. .NET is best for rendering static pages and handling CPU-intuitive tasks.
.NET too delivers high performance and optimizes code for better results. Technologies like ASP.NET demand less coding, helping developers optimize code effectively.
.NET empowers developers to upgrade code and even keep it minimal. For that, however, manual app design may be necessary. Therefore, you may need some additional time to handle this complex task.
As for Node.js web application development services, they can deal with a few callbacks. Moreover, the technology offers a choice to coordinate with smaller segments rather than a big arrangement.
Node.js is the best choice for developers used to Java Script. Meanwhile, .NET will be a better choice for developers proficient in C#, F#, or Visual Basic.
Still Confused Between .NET vs Node JS Web Application Development Services?
Well, that’s what our consultants are here for. Our experts are proficient in both technologies, ensuring that you get the best value from your next web application.
So, if you’re looking for a reliable partner for your next web application development project, simply get in touch with us via the form below.
Even if you don’t have a million-dollar idea yet, we can help you come up with one easily. After all, we offer Innovation as a Service. So, let us know how we can help you.